Chadron – looking to the northeast in about 1897
When the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad chose to establish its townsite at the present location of Chadron (rather than at O'Linn, a couple of miles west near present day Dakota Junction), practically all of O'Linn was moved and things began to boom. By the time this photo was taken ca. 1897, rail cars and buildings dominated the north side of town.
The "Kenwood" neighborhood would soon follow just to the north of the railroad. Among the more prominent buildings is the Methodist Episcopal Church at the right center of this photograph. The church – at 3rd and Morehead – was dedicated in April of 1887 and served the community until 1952, when a new church was built between 8th and 9th Streets on Shelton. The old Methodist Church site on Morehead would become home to the Chadron Volunteer Fire Department.